Why Motorcycle Insurance is Important
As a motorcycle rider, you need to think about your life, your bike, and the lives of others. You can do that by acquiring an insurance cover for your motorcycle to protect you and your loved ones in case you are involved in an accident. Motorcycles are easily stolen compared to passenger trucks or other automobiles. Once stolen, motorcycles are easy to rebuild, strip down, and sell. Moreover, they are risky to operate compared to passenger trucks because of the following reasons discussed below:
- Their small sizes make it impossible for other motorists to see, which can result in accidents
- Motorcycle operators do not wear protective devices like airbags or seat belts
- Cyclists ride on two wheels, meaning that any inattention can cause an accident
- They are maneuverable and fast, which makes it harder for other motorists to see them
From the reasons discussed above, it is clear that you need to obtain an insurance policy for your motorcycle if you want to ride on the highway. If you are considering racing your motorbike, either for fun or competitively, you need to insure your bike and yourself. Whether you want to race on level ground or off-road tracks, having an insurance cover for your motorcycle is crucial.
How Much Does Motorbike Insurance Cost?
The cost of motorcycle insurance is not static but dynamic. If you have a claims-free driving history and own a small Honda motorcycle used for daily commute, you may be required to pay a few dollars annually. However, if you are a teen motorcyclist planning to buy a crotch rocket, then you may have to pay $3000 to $5000 every year as insurance premiums.
Overall, it can seem expensive to insure motorbikes to those who are used to paying for car insurance. Motorcycle drivers pay higher premium rates compared to other motorists because of the following reasons:
- It is very hard for motorcycles to be seen in blind spots or on the road
- Motorbike clashes lead to fatal and severe injuries because riders are less protected compared to vehicles that have airbags and steel reinforcements
- Motorbikes are stolen easily compared to other types of automobiles
- Once stolen, motorcycles are not easily recovered because they are dismantled and sold as spare parts; the thieves remove the wheels and engine from the stolen frame and mount it onto a new frame before they are sold again in the black market
However, you can apply these strategies below to help you save on motorcycle insurance cost:
- Purchase an old motorcycle
- Consider taking a motorbike safety course
- Have a claims-free driving record
- Inquire about the available discounts from your insurance provider
How Much Motorcycle Insurance Do I Need?
The amount of insurance that you require for your motorbike will depend on the kind of bike you have and how you intend to use it. If you plan to use your motorbike for racing, then you need to increase your coverage to cover the higher risks involved in this activity.
Featured Image: depositphotos/ Violin